Bringing you the "Good News" of Jesus Christ and His Church While PROMOTING CATHOLIC Apologetic Support groups loyal to the Holy Father and Church's magisterium
Home About
What's New? Resources The Church Family Life Mass and
Ask A Catholic
Knowledge base
AskACatholic Disclaimer
Search the
AskACatholic Database
Donate and
Support our work
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
New Questions
Cool Catholic Videos
About Saints
Disciplines & Practices for distinct Church seasons
Purgatory and Indulgences
About the Holy Mass
About Mary
Searching and Confused
Contemplating becoming a Catholic or Coming home
Homosexual and Gender Issues
Life and Family
No Salvation Outside the Church
Sacred Scripture
non-Catholic Cults
Justification and Salvation
The Pope and Papacy
The Sacraments
Relationships and Marriage situations
Specific people, organizations and events
Doctrine and Teachings
Specific Practices
Church Internals
Church History

Frustrated Francis wrote:

Dear AskACatholic,

We are married Catholics who have been married for four years now however my wife doesn't support me in any business idea I suggest.

My job is poor but hers is good so she has money. She shouts at me and often becomes angry at me at the least provocation. I got a transfer to another town recently and she asked me to pack my belongings and go. She said I am disturbing her.

I want to quit the marriage because her behavior is making me commit adultery which isn't good. We have a marriage certificate from the Church but we didn't register our marriage in the court.

  • Can you help me answer the following questions?
  1. Is it good to ask for divorce?
  2. Can she sue me legally?
  3. Can the Church certificate be used as a legal document in the court?

Thank you, and I hope to hear from your team of experts.

Frustrated Francis

  { Seeing I want to end the marriage, can you answer the following divorce and legal questions? }

Fr. Jonathan replied:


You said:

  1. Is it good to ask for divorce?
  2. Can she sue me legally?
  3. Can the Church certificate be used as a legal document in the court?
  1. It is better to work on your marriage and to stop committing adultery and blaming her for it. Own your own sinfulness first.
  2. Yes.
  3. That depend on the country. In the United States the answer is No.

Fr. Jonathan

Please report any and all typos or grammatical errors.
Suggestions for this web page and the web site can be sent to Mike Humphrey
© 2012 Panoramic Sites
The Early Church Fathers Church Fathers on the Primacy of Peter. The Early Church Fathers on the Catholic Church and the term Catholic. The Early Church Fathers on the importance of the Roman Catholic Church centered in Rome.