Bringing you the "Good News" of Jesus Christ and His Church While PROMOTING CATHOLIC Apologetic Support groups loyal to the Holy Father and Church's magisterium
Home About
What's New? Resources The Church Family Life Mass and
Ask A Catholic
Knowledge base
AskACatholic Disclaimer
Search the
AskACatholic Database
Donate and
Support our work
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
New Questions
Cool Catholic Videos
About Saints
Disciplines & Practices for distinct Church seasons
Purgatory and Indulgences
About the Holy Mass
About Mary
Searching and Confused
Contemplating becoming a Catholic or Coming home
Homosexual and Gender Issues
Life and Family
No Salvation Outside the Church
Sacred Scripture
non-Catholic Cults
Justification and Salvation
The Pope and Papacy
The Sacraments
Relationships and Marriage situations
Specific people, organizations and events
Doctrine and Teachings
Specific Practices
Church Internals
Church History

Jim wrote:

Hi, guys —

I am a Greek male who is Greek Orthodox in religion. I have two children baptized Greek Orthodox. Their mother is not with us anymore.

  • I can marry again?

I am thinking of getting married to Irish woman, who is Roman Catholic, with the intention to have children together and having a heterogenic family.

Desiring all the children of the family to be the same religion, any new children would be baptized Greek Orthodox.

  • Would the Roman Catholic woman need to become Greek Orthodox too?

Thank you in advance for your advice


  { Would my future Catholic wife have to become Greek Orthodox too? }

Fr. Jonathan replied:

Hi, Jim —

  • First, what happened to the first wife?

My guess is that you are divorced and the Greek Orthodox Church has recognized your divorce.

If this is the case, the Catholic Church would not consider you free to marry a Catholic until you received a Catholic annulment.

Second, the situation sounds complicated and confusing for the family worshipping together.

If you and your children current and future were to become Greek Catholic this might allow everyone to be in harmony. This is easy to accomplish.

Fr. Jonathan

Mike replied:

Hi, Jim —

For those readers unfamiliar with the terms Greek Catholic and Greek Orthodox, there is a extremely important difference.

The Catholic Church consists of about 23 different rites. The largest rite by far is the Roman Rite which makes up about 95 percent of the faithful. The other 5 percent consist of various other Catholic rites who all:

  • believe the same teachings as Roman Rite Catholics, and
  • are faithful to the Magisterium of the Church and Holy Father.

One of those twenty-one other rites is the Greek Catholic rite.

In a related question, my colleague Eric said:

There are many rites within the Catholic Church (ways of worshiping), and many churches sui iuris (according to the law) — such as:

  • the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church
  • the Melkite Greek-Catholic Church
  • the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
  • the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church
  • the Chaldean Catholic Church
  • the Coptic Catholic Church, and
  • the Armenian Catholic Church

but we are all united under one head and believe in one common faith, and we, by no means, call our different rites or churches (sui iuris) "denominations".

We don't even call ourselves a denomination.

A sad result of some stupid bickering between both Catholics and Greek Orthodox resulted in the Schism of 1054 A.D. While Greek Orthodox have valid sacraments they do not recognize the authority of St. Peter which Jesus established in 33 A.D.

That said, our two faiths are very, very close to coming together in the near future.

Hope this helps,


Please report any and all typos or grammatical errors.
Suggestions for this web page and the web site can be sent to Mike Humphrey
© 2012 Panoramic Sites
The Early Church Fathers Church Fathers on the Primacy of Peter. The Early Church Fathers on the Catholic Church and the term Catholic. The Early Church Fathers on the importance of the Roman Catholic Church centered in Rome.