Bringing you the "Good News" of Jesus Christ and His Church While PROMOTING CATHOLIC Apologetic Support groups loyal to the Holy Father and Church's magisterium
Home About
What's New? Resources The Church Family Life Mass and
Ask A Catholic
Knowledge base
AskACatholic Disclaimer
Search the
AskACatholic Database
Donate and
Support our work
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
New Questions
Cool Catholic Videos
About Saints
Disciplines & Practices for distinct Church seasons
Purgatory and Indulgences
About the Holy Mass
About Mary
Searching and Confused
Contemplating becoming a Catholic or Coming home
Homosexual and Gender Issues
Life and Family
No Salvation Outside the Church
Sacred Scripture
non-Catholic Cults
Justification and Salvation
The Pope and Papacy
The Sacraments
Relationships and Marriage situations
Specific people, organizations and events
Doctrine and Teachings
Specific Practices
Church Internals
Church History

Sarah wrote:

Hi, guys —

I am a divorced Catholic woman who has received an annulment.

  • What happens if I marry a divorced man who has not received a annulment?
  • Can we marry in the Church?
  • Can either of us receive the Eucharist?

Thank you.


  { What happens if a Catholic woman marries a divorced man who has not received a annulment? }

Fr. Jonathan replied:


You both need to be free to marry for a valid marriage so you have to get his situation settled too.

Fr. Jonathan

Sarah replied:

Thank you Father!

To gain further insight.

If I married a divorced Catholic who was had not received a annulment, the marriage would not be valid and could never be validated even after he received a annulment.

  • So could we later remarry in the Church or would our first civil union need to be annulled?

Obviously, if I marry this person, neither of us can receive the Eucharist any longer.

  • Is this correct?



Fr. Jonathan replied:

Hi, Sarah —

Once the marriage is valid, you can come back to Holy Communion.

So, to be more clear.

  1. Figure out his situation with a priest (he may or may not need an annulment.)
  2. Get married in the Church
  3. Go to Holy Communion

If you choose the other route getting civilly married first puts you in an invalid marriage and makes you unable to receive Holy Communion.

  1. Get his situation figured out with advice from a priest and obtain a possible annulment
  2. Get your civil marriage validated in the Church
  3. Come back to Holy Communion after going to Confession.

Fr. Jonathan

Please report any and all typos or grammatical errors.
Suggestions for this web page and the web site can be sent to Mike Humphrey
© 2012 Panoramic Sites
The Early Church Fathers Church Fathers on the Primacy of Peter. The Early Church Fathers on the Catholic Church and the term Catholic. The Early Church Fathers on the importance of the Roman Catholic Church centered in Rome.