Bringing you the "Good News" of Jesus Christ and His Church While PROMOTING CATHOLIC Apologetic Support groups loyal to the Holy Father and Church's magisterium
Home About
What's New? Resources The Church Family Life Mass and
Ask A Catholic
Knowledge base
AskACatholic Disclaimer
Search the
AskACatholic Database
Donate and
Support our work
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
New Questions
Cool Catholic Videos
About Saints
Disciplines & Practices for distinct Church seasons
Purgatory and Indulgences
About the Holy Mass
About Mary
Searching and Confused
Contemplating becoming a Catholic or Coming home
Homosexual and Gender Issues
Life and Family
No Salvation Outside the Church
Sacred Scripture
non-Catholic Cults
Justification and Salvation
The Pope and Papacy
The Sacraments
Relationships and Marriage situations
Specific people, organizations and events
Doctrine and Teachings
Specific Practices
Church Internals
Church History

Anonymous Meg wrote:

Hi, guys —

I have a bit of a situation and I am not sure how to go about any of it. Sadly, my husband is committing adultery. He has left not only myself for this other woman but our young son as well.

Here is where this problem gets complicated.

The woman that he left us for is my son's godmother. I don't know what to do as my husband is in the military and we were told we could have our child's godparents listed by proxy because they weren't able to make it across the country for the last minute Baptism before my husband deployed.

I have the certificate, yet what the two of them are doing sets such a horrible example for my son and is not the way I want him taught the Catholic faith as their lives are full of adultery, lies and deception. They both decided that she is no longer his godmother.

I wasn't sure if I would be able to find out about doing a certificate that shows a change, like a keepsake. Even if it's not technically official, I ask because she never actually witnessed the Baptism, but I have a friend who was a witness and would be a wonderful spiritual guide for my son. She has said she would love to step up to the plate and do this for the two of us.

  • Is any of this possible?


  { Can I change Godparents from one listed by proxy to one who really witnessed the Baptism? }

Bob replied:


  • Why don't you go to the parish where the Baptism was performed, explain the situation, and see if they can give you something?

If not, at least have your child recognize the other person who witnessed the baptism as his godparent. It may not be official, but in practical terms, it would be better.


Bob Kirby

Fr. Jonathan replied:


The person who stood up as the sponsor (whether personally or through a proxy) is the sponsor in the book for all time. It cannot be changed as it is a historical record.

That being said, the Register speaks of them as Sponsor and not as Godmother or Godfather. These are spiritual terms and not canonical terms. Therefore, although you can have only one male sponsor and one female sponsor, canon law is silent on who is called a Godparent.

The Congregation for Worship studied this question and concluded that, although a priest cannot subtract a name from the record (i.e. the sponsor), the priest could add someone’s name to the notes in the record.

Therefore, the best your priest can do for you is add another name of someone to the record, however, the priest cannot issue a new Baptism Certificate with a different name.

Most churches should have another form of Baptism Certificate that lists only the Church, the name, and the date of Baptism. You could ask for one of those to keep in your files.

I hope that is helpful.

Fr. Jonathan

Please report any and all typos or grammatical errors.
Suggestions for this web page and the web site can be sent to Mike Humphrey
© 2012 Panoramic Sites
The Early Church Fathers Church Fathers on the Primacy of Peter. The Early Church Fathers on the Catholic Church and the term Catholic. The Early Church Fathers on the importance of the Roman Catholic Church centered in Rome.