Bringing you the "Good News" of Jesus Christ and His Church While PROMOTING CATHOLIC Apologetic Support groups loyal to the Holy Father and Church's magisterium
Home About
What's New? Resources The Church Family Life Mass and
Ask A Catholic
Knowledge base
AskACatholic Disclaimer
Search the
AskACatholic Database
Donate and
Support our work
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
New Questions
Cool Catholic Videos
About Saints
Disciplines & Practices for distinct Church seasons
Purgatory and Indulgences
About the Holy Mass
About Mary
Searching and Confused
Contemplating becoming a Catholic or Coming home
Homosexual and Gender Issues
Life and Family
No Salvation Outside the Church
Sacred Scripture
non-Catholic Cults
Justification and Salvation
The Pope and Papacy
The Sacraments
Relationships and Marriage situations
Specific people, organizations and events
Doctrine and Teachings
Specific Practices
Church Internals
Church History

Christopher Balareman wrote:

Hi, guys —

I am a Catholic man, wishing to marry an Anglican woman by faith.

  • Could you please explain to me what consequences, as a Catholic, this will have on my faith?
  • What is required of me, as a Catholic, to continue my faith after our wedding in an Anglican church, especially as required by the Canon law?

For your information, my would-be wife is ready to join her Christian faith with me in the Catholic Church.

Thanks for your true answer.


  { What is required for a Catholic marrying in the Anglican church and what are the consequences? }

Fr. Jonathan replied:

Hi Christopher,

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

To be right with the Church canonically, you will need to go with your future spouse and meet with a Catholic priest.

The priest will assess your freedom to marry and if the case is exactly as you wrote it he will need to file two things with his bishop:

1. A permission for Mixed Marriage
i.e. permission for a Catholic to marry a baptized non-Catholic.

2. A dispensation from Form
i.e. allowing you to marry with the officiant being someone other than a Catholic priest. This form includes a permission from place which states that the wedding is not in a Catholic Church.
In order to get that first permission (Mixed Marriage) you will make two promises. Your future spouse does not make the same promises but needs to witness your promises; namely:
  1. I will remain a Catholic and continue to practice my faith.
  2. I will do all in my power to baptize and raise the children as Catholic.

If you do all that, and go to Catholic Marriage Prep (known as Pre-Cana) you will be good to go and your wedding will be 100% valid and sacramental.

Fr. Jonathan

Christopher replied:

Fr. Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the steps to follow.

Remain blessed in Jesus' Name.

My Regards,


Please report any and all typos or grammatical errors.
Suggestions for this web page and the web site can be sent to Mike Humphrey
© 2012 Panoramic Sites
The Early Church Fathers Church Fathers on the Primacy of Peter. The Early Church Fathers on the Catholic Church and the term Catholic. The Early Church Fathers on the importance of the Roman Catholic Church centered in Rome.