Bringing you the "Good News" of Jesus Christ and His Church While PROMOTING CATHOLIC Apologetic Support groups loyal to the Holy Father and Church's magisterium
Home About
What's New? Resources The Church Family Life Mass and
Ask A Catholic
Knowledge base
AskACatholic Disclaimer
Search the
AskACatholic Database
Donate and
Support our work
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
New Questions
Cool Catholic Videos
About Saints
Disciplines & Practices for distinct Church seasons
Purgatory and Indulgences
About the Holy Mass
About Mary
Searching and Confused
Contemplating becoming a Catholic or Coming home
Homosexual and Gender Issues
Life and Family
No Salvation Outside the Church
Sacred Scripture
non-Catholic Cults
Justification and Salvation
The Pope and Papacy
The Sacraments
Relationships and Marriage situations
Specific people, organizations and events
Doctrine and Teachings
Specific Practices
Church Internals
Church History

William wrote:

Hi, guys —

I'm sorry for asking yet another marriage/divorce question as it seems there are many.

I was raised Catholic but married a non-Catholic in the Episcopal church. From that marriage we had a son. My wife left us and filed for divorce which I could not stop (although I tried). The legal divorce eventually went through and she is now living re-married, overseas.

I came back to the Catholic Church over a year ago and brought my son into the Church. (He was baptized Episcopal.) At some point, if its God's will, I would like to get married to a Catholic in the Catholic Church.

  • Based on what I have told you, is that possible?


  { After being married in the Episcopal church and my wife leaving, can I marry in the Church? }

Paul replied:

Dear William,

Yes, it is possible.

If you were a baptized Catholic that married outside the Catholic Church, your marriage was invalid. You need to see a priest for instruction and Confession. He should be able to guide your steps appropriately.



Fr. Jonathan replied:

Hi, Mike—

Paul's answer is correct, but it assumes that William did not file for a Dispensation from Form at the time of his marriage in the Episcopal Church.

If that is indeed the case, and he plans on marrying in the Church, a priest can help him do a Lack of Form case prior to the future marriage.

Fr. Jonathan

William replied:

Mike —

Thank you very much for the additional information. Fr. Jonathan's assumption is correct in that I did not file for Dispensation from Form at the time of my marriage in the Episcopal Church.

Ill make an appointment with my priest so I can take care of the necessary paperwork as I want to be able to marry should the right person enter my life.

Thank you and God bless!

— William

Please report any and all typos or grammatical errors.
Suggestions for this web page and the web site can be sent to Mike Humphrey
© 2012 Panoramic Sites
The Early Church Fathers Church Fathers on the Primacy of Peter. The Early Church Fathers on the Catholic Church and the term Catholic. The Early Church Fathers on the importance of the Roman Catholic Church centered in Rome.